Thursday, March 8, 2012

Scarlet Fever

Ever heard of it?? It does still exist. I know. Rather intimately, do I know.

I went back to my classroom today for the first time in 3 days because for 4 1/2 days I have been down for the count. On Saturday evening after my Bridal Shower I started coughing. My chest hurt a little when I took a deep breath and I had been nursing a sore throat for about a week so I went right home, visited with one of my Bridesmaids from out of town and then I hit the hay. When I woke up Sunday morning, I felt TERRIBLE. My head was killing me, my body hurt, I had a stuffed up nose, cough and terrible chills. The Coach was kind enough to wait on me hand and foot while I laid in bed drinking green tea and  lazily tossing my tissues on the floor. I worked in a few Airbournes and called it a night pretty early- with every intention of going to school on Monday.

HA. My body had other plans.

I woke up on Monday morning with a fever of 103 (whaaaaaatttt?) and the symptoms from the previous day magnified. I fumbled out some sub plans and signed up for a sub for the day...which turned into being out Tuesday too. But the time the Coach got home from Football Tuesday afternoon even he started to notice that we had a serious problem. I couldn't stop shaking, I was sweating so much  that I looked like I had been standing in the shower with my clothes on. My face was yellow and back HURT. After about 10 Tylenol my fever finally broke at some point during the night but on Wednesday morning I just had to see a doctor. Why didn't I go DAYS earlier you might ask?? Well, A. I am stupid, and B. dear Dr. Mom didn't know quiet the severity of this illness until I explained that my throat had been sore more than 10 days. So she was just telling me to hydrate. As soon as she heard the whole story, Dr. Mom said, "Oh, Lord- it's Scarlet Fever!" and to the doctor I went.

Apparently, what I thought was a sore throat was Strep, that moved into my lungs and then into my bloodstream. That's when the fever hit. Did you know that fewer than 20% of adults ever develop scarlet fever? Well now you know someone in the 20%.

With a miracle shot and some serious anit-biotics I was shipped back to school today. And after all of the Kindergarten craziness, I am exhausted. Thanks for reading- sorry for the long delay. I'll be back with some meal posts this weekend! Stay Healthy, friends. And if you do happen to fall ill, go to the doctor y'all. It's worth it.

Love & Peace!



1 comment: