Sunday, January 1, 2012

Projects for the NEW YEAR!

I saw something online last year (maybe on Pinterest or another blog) about keeping baskets in your fridge and I thought it looked great! It would allow you to rid your cool space of the extra bags and packaging you often have to battle during the week and it would give everything a specific and purposeful place.

My Mom has been doing this in her pantry forever so putting the baskets in there should have been a no-brainer...and yet it's taken until 2012 for me to catch on.

In an effort to keep my New Year's Resolution about cooking 1 item from my family cookbook every week, I went to the store today. And before I made my way down the aisles I stopped off at Dollar General for a few plastic baskets for my soon-to-be-purchased groceries. 

Not only did I save $88 today with my Sunday Coupons but my kitchen now looks like this: 


 All of the tall things remain at the top. But things like my chocolate milk needed to be kept all together- it makes them easier to move around in the fridge if need be. 
The baskets on the center shelf contain commonly used items: LtoR The basket with the yogurt serves the same purpose as the chocolate milk basket. In the middle is a basket with all my dairy items for cooking and daily consumption (String cheese, sour cream, plain yogurt (for the salmon cakes I'm making this week) and cheddar cheese.) The basket on the right is veggies for cooking as labeled in the photo.
The bottom 2 baskets are larger. 1 has all of fruit for the week. We each take 1 piece in our lunches and I always bring an extra for my much needed afternoon snack. The lemons I'll use in the salmon cakes are in that basket too. The basket on the right is the only meat I'll use for dinner this week. It's 2  5oz beef tenderloins, 1lb of ground beef and 1 pack of chicken. Our local Kroger had boneless, skinless, chicken breasts on sale today so I bought 4 packages but only 1 of those are in the fridge for the week, the others made their home in the freezer.   I always keep my meats on the lowest possible shelf just in case there is a leak.

On to the "pantry" if you can call it that...

And considering the MAY-JA space constraints we have at The Shoebox, I'd say this is looking pretty good! 

I'm excited to get cookin' tomorrow on our very last day off before it's back to car duty and lost library books and my 24 sweet little Kindergarten babies!

Love & Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment