Sunday, December 4, 2011

A big win and a big winner.

My fiance' is incredible. When I think I know all I need to know about him he surprises me. 

As you might have guessed by the title of this post, the Bowling Green Purples won the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP last night. I will have a big ole post on the subject tomorrow after I pick up my picture CD at Walgreens (No camera cord= stupid.) 

But until then, I'd like to brag just a little on the man in my life. 

I stood for a long time in the stands last night when the game came to an end. The other wives all made their way to the field and the players ran around joyfully. But, I stood just to watch. My Dad had reminded me earlier in the evening that no matter how much we hope that this State Championship win is only the first of many for my Coach (all of the Coaches really), it could very well be a once in a lifetime moment. I wanted to take it all in. I wanted to see our friends celebrating and the fans cheering, I wanted to remember how proud I was of them all at that very moment. After I did make my way down to the field to smooch the Coach I found myself wondering about his rather calm and quiet reaction to such a monumentus win. He's a pretty level-headed guy so I didn't exactly expect him to be fist-pumping on the 50 yard-line but last night he just stood there and smiled. I kept asking him if he was happy, if he was excited...

This morning when I asked him again to tell me how he was felling he said:
"I'm happy we won, it's great. But it's not about me." 
I think that might be one of the best things I've ever heard any coach, in any sport, ever say.
In the midst of hype, and celebration and chaos my Coach was standing on the field, looking up into the stands for me doing the very same thing I was doing at the very same moment. He was making a memory of everyone else. He was soaking it up. And he was remembering that last night's game was about so much more than him. The Coach has his own State Championship from 2004 when he was a high school football player so he knows how much this win means and will mean to the boys. He knows the value of his fellow coaches, he know how much is to be learned from Bowling Green's head coach. He knows that last nights win was not about him. 
And this makes me proud. 

I read somewhere once that you should never marry a man unless you would be proud to have a son exactly like him. I look forward to having son's like the Coach. He is such a good man. I don't know what I ever did to deserve someone so good. 
This picture is terrible of me but it's the only one we have so far :-)

Thanks for letting me brag, friends.
Love & Peace.


1 comment:

  1. Love it. I just teared up a little! So sweet and awesome!

    ReplyDelete