Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Watering my own grass.

My friend Raven is getting married in a few weeks and I'm so excited for her.
She was such a loyal and loving friend through college. There were some pretty complicated times for me and when other people were turning their backs on me, Raven was always and honest and reliable friend. I can't wait to see her marry long time beau, John, in June.



Recently Raven posted a little something to her Facebook:

"If the grass looks greener on the other side,
water your own grass."

I think this is wonderful. The root of this quote is NOT about keeping up with the Jones' or constantly trying to compete with your friends. It is simply about focusing more on your own self improvement and enhancing your own life for your self and others you love and not worrying about the other "grass."

This quote spoke to me because I have been catching myself overly green with envy in recent weeks...it's an embarrassing story (or couple of stories) so I won't share but I will say that instead of being ugly and jealous, I have opted to water my own grass :-)
I've already shared that Coach and I live in a shoebox. It's a comfortable, almost stylish shoebox, but a shoebox no less. I have had the same decor in the living room for 3 years and most of it was collected through 2nd hand means. This is who I am- a collector or eclectic items I love. And garage sale-ing was SO fun for me. BUT! I am a grown up now, with a real job and soon I will have a husband. This means I'm old- I think it's time to redecorate. It's time for new items, a new look. I love my shoebox and I love its feel but rather than longing for a big place that we don't need, I'm going to spend my summer redecorating!
Here are a few photos of living rooms I'm in love with! What do you think?
Some of the items in this room look similar to our current LR. The standing lamp stand, the couch and a few chairs filling the room. I also really like the multi art on the wall and the pattern on the rug!


This room is fabulous! I love the color and the how warm it feels and I really love that it's small like our LR!

I love the cool blue colors in this room. I have neutral couches so I think that azure blue might be perfect at our place!

Love & Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I adore this quote, thank you for sharing!

    These are fabulous decorating ideas, I love the shelves in the first picture, the ceiling in the second, and the colors in the third ARE awesome.

    For the record, I've always loved following your style. I wish I had your knack for finding interesting pieces and putting together in a cohesive and eclectic way.

    ReplyDelete