Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oskee Wow Wow!

My love for the University of Illinois is hard for me to put into words. I'm not a graduate and I didn't grow up in Champaign. But I love the UofI and I love Chief Illiniwek. My parents are both from Central Illinois and almost all of my family still live there today. As you know, My Father and I are extremely close. Over the years we have been to many UofI sporting events and I brag regularly that my Dad played Basketball at the UofI. The first cheer I ever learn was "Cha-hee, Cha-ha, Goooo Illini!" I think from the age of 5 to the age of 8 I spent more time in my Illinois cheerleading uniform than anything else. 
Dad and Me at the UofI game back in 2007.

Dad and Me at the Illinois homecoming game in 2010.

A few years ago the NCAA banned the iconic mascot from any of their official functions. Let me tell you why: for more than two decades, Chief Illiniwek has been the center of a controversy. At the root of the controversy is the view of several "rights" groups that the symbol/mascot was a misappropriation of indigenous cultural figures and rituals and that it perpetuated stereotypes about American Indians. As a result of this controversy, the NCAA termed Chief Illiniwek a "hostile or abusive" mascot and image in August 2005 and banned the university from hosting postseason activities as long as it continued to use the mascot and symbol. They told Illinois and the adoring fans that their tribute to the fierce Illini tribe was offensive and that they would no longer be allowed to have such a mascot at NCAA functions. Should the university not comply, lofty fines would ensue. The board of regents sheepishly took away THE CHIEF.


Here's what folks against the Chief don't know... 


 The expression Illiniwek means "the complete human being - the strong, agile human body, and the indomitable human spirit." The Chief is a tribute to a powerful tribe that is no longer in existence. The people of the UofI honored this tribe and honored their mascot at every football game during the playing of "three in one" during halftime at football games. I can remember watching him dance as a child and I can hear the crowds cheering in approval as if I just heard it this morning. 
But now, as Three in One is played, Memorial stadium cries out in a hauntingly eerie call, "Cheeeeeiiiiifffff" where his dance should take place. They long for him. They deeply miss the pride and passion that his dance could stir up in their souls. The Chief is a reminder of great years in the past and great years to come. He belongs to the people of Illinois and he should be returned to them. 


Oh yes, here is one more thing you should know. As I mentioned above there are no longer any living members of the Illini tribe. Whereas, say, the Seminole Indians are still in existence and Florida State University (who has a GIGANTIC Seminole Indian head in the center of their University's basketball court) can simply PAY them for their symbol. With a few million dollars, FSU can do whatever they please with their symbol. The NCAA claims that Chief Illiniwek is a "misappropriation of indigenous cultural figures and rituals." And yet they have no problem with the sale of another such "cultural figure?" 


The system is flawed. 


Take some time to read around about this issue and if you don't mind, sign the petition.


Love & Peace.

1 comment: