Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Be gone bad habits and welcome to my heart, Lord!

I started thinking about Lent earlier this week, as many of you did as well, I'm sure. I thought about things I might like to eliminate from my life that were pleasureable but not really all that healthy. As our Preist said tonight these are our most "destructive habits" and the best part about getting rid of them for 40 days is that sometimes we are able to rid ourselves of these "destructive habits" for good. And that, my friends is the power of Lent and the power of God.
I've choose to kick the bad habit that is my sweets consumption. It's terrible for my body and it keeps me feeling gross and guilty. I look forward to turning to God when these cravings hit and I hope that it will be a healthy reminder of those who suffer from REAL want and REAL need.

I believe very deeply in the power of prayer. I believe in the importance of saying, "I know I cannot change you God- but YOU Lord, can change me." I have felt emotional and physical transiformations because I prayed deeply and consistantly. I was steadfast in my faith and I sought out the Lord. That being said, there is NO WAY, that I do this enough. I should pray so much more than I do. I know that I could have an even deeper, more meaningful relationship with Him if I would only make my talks with God a bigger priority in my life. I hope I'm not alone in this sin.
I will spend the next 40 days digging deeply into my bible as I add a consistant quite-time to my day. In devoting myself more diligently to God I hope that He can make me more diligent in the other areas of my life.

Last but definately not least is an idea I am borrowing from a friend on Facebook. Over the next 40 days, I will write 40 letters. Each attached to a simple explination. It will read:

"During the season of Lent, I have choosen to write 40 letters to 40 people who have enriched my life in one way or another. Please know that God has been in my heart as I created this list. I hope to hear back from you. But even if I don't, I hope that you will know how deeply you have touched my life."




May God bless you richly! I'd love to hear your plans for the season!
Love & Peace!


2 comments:

  1. Great post! I will be giving up fast food, cokes and sweet tea. When I make my own meals I am forced to pay attention to what I am putting into my body (the home of the Holy Spirit). That is an area of purity that God has convicted me of. Yay for Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Emily! I can't wait to see you on Saturday and hear about how it is all going! :-)

    ReplyDelete