Sunday, December 2, 2012

20-Something to 20-Someone

Thanks for waiting.... here it is, Staci's Story in her words:
 
1.       If you could only use 5 words to describe yourself, what would they be and why?
A.      Impatient – I want what I want when I want it, dang it!
B.      Perfectionist – I like everything to be a certain way with everything in its place. I hate making mistakes or feeling like I’ve failed. L
C.       Realistic – I don’t get too excited about things until they are concrete and achievable.
D.       Devoted – I have my small circle of friends and invest in our relationships. I’d much rather have awesome, solid relationships with my few girlfriends than try to be besties with everyone I come in contact with. I give my all to my education, work life, and home life (family and fur babies included!).
E.       Mrs. Fix It – When catastrophe strikes or problems arise, I try to put everything back together as quickly as possible. Instead of freaking out (well maybe momentarily), I try to work on fixing the problem. Hmmm this is probably due to my impatience issue. J 
2.       What do you see as your greatest accomplishment and why?
Obtaining my degrees and CPA certification. I’m from a very small town where very few of my family members went to college and my Mom had me at a very young age. With her support, I was able to get the education I needed to live the life I really wanted. Moms are the best.
3.       How do you think your education has prepared you for what you’re doing now?
Without my education I couldn’t have gotten my first job out of school and without my experience (prestige of the firm and having them foot the bill for my certification) there, I wouldn’t have gotten the job I’m in now. A job where I feel secure in my career and a job that allows me to provide for my family. As far as what I learned in school applying to the work I do now – I really don’t think you learn all you need to know until you are in the workforce. I’ve learned so much more on the job than I ever did in school.
4.       Tell us about a time you’ve had conflict with someone and what you did to work it out.
I’m really bad at this. I hate conflict and confrontation. I just want everyone to be happy and get along. If it’s my husband, I’m always right. If it’s anyone else, I apologize first or just try to move on from the issue.
5.       What do you see as your greatest weakness?
Public speaking. I hate it.
6.       What is the one thing in the world that you care the most about? Why?
My family! And that includes friends that have become family. At the end of the day, after all the crap, that’s your safe place. People who will love and support you no matter what.
7.       If you got to live your life over again, what is one thing you would change and why?
I would be more involved. Be more involved in extra-curriculars  in high school and take more advantage of opportunities in college. I used to love to dance when I was younger, but that was short lived. I’d have my parents win the lottery so they could afford to have jobs that allowed the time for me to do those things growing up. Army Dad and nurse Mom makes for some crazy schedules!
8.       When have you failed? Tell us what happened and what you learned from it.
Didn’t you see the perfectionist comment above? ;) Ok but really, I had to take one section of the CPA exam 3 times before I passed it. I learned what it was like to really have to work for something that doesn’t just come naturally. I would spend an 8 to 10 hour day at work, eat dinner with the hubs, then study till bedtime. I studied every weekend. I had to give up going to some special events and my precious free time, but when I finally passed, it was so worth it.
9.       Where do you hope to be in 10 years?
Happy. I want to live a full, well-rounded life. I hope to be rooted here in our new town with a couple of kiddos and moving forward in my career. I want it all. Too much to ask?
10.   What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?
Shop, craft, and see my family. I love living closer to my extended family now. Growing up as an Army brat, I was only able to visit during holidays and summers. It’s so nice to run out to dinner with grandparents and go to football games with my siblings. I was raised an only child and now have 3 brothers and 3 sisters (so dysfunctional but I love it)! Living closer has allowed me to build a closer relationship with them. Since they are quite a bit younger than me, we get to skip the sibling fights and I get to spoil them!

1 comment: