Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"The Sound of Silence"

I bought a new devotional book on Sunday. A little late in the year, right? I figured I'd follow this one until December 3rd of next years and it will serve it's purpose as an annual. Who says we have to start on January 1 anyway?
 
The book is by Jill Briscoe and it's called The One year Devotions for Women. While I was look for this book at Barnes and Noble, the Coach found this little gem:
 
 
I told him he was missing the point....Anywho.
 
I picked this one:

 
So far, so good. And the verse on Monday's page was
 
James 1:19,
"My dear brothers and sisters, be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to get angry."
 
I can't even begin to tell you how insanely hard this is for me. Like painful, forgotten, 'I hate it' kind of hard. In most areas of my life when I see a need for change I'll do it. I'll get focused in on the change, I'll pray about the change, and I'll talk to the Coach about it. Then before I know it, the change is occurring and I'm on the right track. Well, with the exception of biting my fingers nails (which is a terrible habit, don't judge me) this verse is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.
 
I talk too much. I talk all the time. I tell everyone what I think and why I think it. I tell other people what they should do and how they should do it. I tell other people what I know and what they should know. It is suffocating. It has to stop.
 
I had the privilege of knowing Barbara Larke. She is the Mother of my sister's husband. (Rodney's Mom) and last month she passed away. Both of the people who spoke at her memorial talked about what an amazing virtuous woman she was. They way that she was steady in times of joy, sorrow, crisis and excitement. They referred to her as a "true Proverbs woman." I found myself asking, What did that really mean? I knew Barbara to be kind and gentle. I knew her to be deeply loving to her son and grandson. I knew her to be very supportive of my sisters. But what did it really mean to be a Proverbs Woman?
 
When the James verse appeared in my devotional so closely following the memorial of such a unique woman, I decided to dig a little deeper into my bible and here is what I found...
 

Proberbs 31:10-31

10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. 11 Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.12 She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. 13 She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands.14 She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. 15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. 16 She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. 17 She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. 18 She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. 19 In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. 20 She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. 22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. 23 Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. 24 She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. 25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. 26 She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.27 She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 29 "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. 31 Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

 

Let me just repeat one small part to you all...
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue."
 
 
My hearts deepest desire is to draw close to God. I know that only when I am at my closest to Him am I the closest to my husband, only then am I truly fulfilling my purpose, only then am I honoring God. I want to be a Proverbs woman. I am deeply inspired by Barbara's life and I am deeply moved by the recent scripture in my life. I want to listen more and talk less. I want to speak ONLY when it is wise. So please my friends remember how I confessed that this is so so so so so hard for me.? I ask you to pray for me as I begin my journey to becoming the Proverbs Woman.  I am  asking God to tame my tongue and tune my ear. I know that listening with love brings love in return.
 
Love & Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment